Friday, July 29, 2016

The Non Traditional Birthday Cake

Today marks my niece's 12th birthday.

As with many of her birthdays we are celebrating it at our cabin in Maine - which does not have my KitchenAid Stand Mixer, stoneware pans and other favorite baking utensils that are back at my house in Florida. I am not a huge fans of store bought cakes (which seem expensive for mediocre flavor or really expensive for a wonderfully tasting cake).  While that may seem like a conundrum in itself it's worse because she doesn't really like cake.

I am known for my homemade chocolate chip cookies.  She loves them, as does the rest of the family.   But they seemed so unbirthday like.  Hmmm...what should I do?

A Chocolate Chip Cookie Birthday Pie!!  I would love to say that I came up with this creation myself.  But I didn't.  While searching on Pinterest I found this recipe on a blog that said they adapted the Nestle Toll House recipe.  However, when I looked at the Nestle Toll House recipe I realized it was an identical recipe.  Seriously people, don't pass something off as your own version if it's not.  The credit goes to Nestle Toll House.

You can find the recipe here:
Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Pie

Although my favorite baking aids were not up here, my mom had this beautiful green pie plate that I thought would be wonderful to dress up a celebration.  I just love it!  I"m sure that in the coming years I'll be using it more for a variety of other pies. Now if only I really knew how to crimp pie dough, lol.  If anyone has tips on that please let me know.


This pie looked good even before it was in the oven!  Probably because I'm a sucker for anything chocolate chip cookie dough! The pie came out a little bit dark but my brown sugar was really dark.  Next time I'll be using light brown sugar so it looks a little more appealing.  Sometimes you just have to use what you have :)

The Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Pie was a complete hit.  Serve it with a little bit of ice cream or whip cream - yum!  Since we are in Maine for so many of her birthdays I think I'll tuck this recipe away to celebrate with it again.

I'm curious ... do any of you make a non traditional birthday cake?  If so, what do you make?  Thanks for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment